Monday, August 15, 2011

Blue Mini Cake

I made this mini cake for a wonderful lady from my church. She always takes time to listen to others and goes out of her way to serve them. I wanted to do something nice for her, so I made this!



The cake is covered in homemade fondant and decorated with blue royal icing. I decided to decorate the top of the cake with her first initial: J.



The cake ended up being about 4 inches in diameter. I baked a lemon cake in a 9x13" pan, then I used a cup as a template for the little circles for the layers of the cake. I just turned the cup upside down on the leveled cake and cut out the circles using a sharp knife.

I filled and frosted the cake just like I would have a regular-sized cake. The only difference was I had to be a lot more careful when I smoothed the fondant over the cake. It is easy to accidentally pleat the fondant due to the size of the cake. This was really fun to make!

STATS:

White Almond Sour Cream Cake (I used lemon flavor)
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Buttercream
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/vanilla-buttercream-frosting/39107a19-be94-4571-9031-f1fc5bd1d606

Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow Fondant
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf/comment-page-1#comment-11

Black Cherry Filling

-10 oz. Polaner Black Cherry jam
-4 oz. box of cherry gelatin

Scoop jam into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30-60 seconds until it's melted slightly and easy to stir. It should be the consistency of a pie filling and nice and smooth. Add the box of strawberry gelatin straight into the jelly and stir until the gelatin powder is dissolved. This is enough filling for an 8" torted cake (filling three layers).

No comments:

Post a Comment