Monday, August 3, 2009

My Very First Fondant Cake


I really wanted to try using fondant on a cake after seeing shows like Ace of Cakes and also seeing beautifully decorated fondant wedding cakes. I found Peggy Weaver's recipe and instructions for marshmallow fondant online (Marshmallow Fondant Recipe). Her recipe only uses a few ingredients (powdered sugar, marshmallows, water, and shortening), so I thought I'd give it a try.

Results:

1. The fondant was fun to make and work with. It was pretty messy at first, but that's all part of the fun!

2. The fondant was very smooth. I didn't have any problems with cracking.

3. I did have a difficult time transferring the large circle of fondant to the cake, though. I read on a few different sites that you should roll the sheet of fondant up around your rolling pin to help transfer it to the cake. I did this, but it was difficult to get the fondant onto the cake without it pulling and tearing. In the process, I ended up dropping the rolling pin on top of the cake with the fondant, which left a pretty large dent. I'm sure I just need more practice. I've also seen that you can use a rubber mat or cutting board to transfer the fondant. I'll try that in the future.

4. The fondant was VERY sweet. I've never tasted any kind of fondant before, so I can't really compare this recipe to anything. But, when I tasted the fondant on its own, it sent a shock-wave through my body. Wow, it was sweet! However, it seemed to mellow when eaten with the cake and butter cream frosting.

5. The writing looks sloppy because I was low on time and decided to just cut the corner off of a plastic sandwich bag instead of using a pastry bag. I ended up with extra strings of frosting and the lines are too thick. Next time I will start earlier and take a little extra time to use a piping tip and pastry bag.

6. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well for my first try. I'm excited to continue experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment