Friday, June 15, 2012

Brush Embroidery Cookies

My brother Christian and my new sister-in-law Amber recently celebrated their marriage at an open house in Maryland. I was able to attend their wedding and reception (which were held in Utah), but I couldn't make it to the open house. I really wanted to participate in some way, and I decided to make cookies for the celebration.

These were dark chocolate cookies with a hint of cinnamon. This was a new recipe for me, and I really liked the flavor. They're delicious!


I used glace icing for the white background. After allowing the icing to dry overnight, I used royal icing to add decorations on top. I used a #2 writing tip to pipe the design. The flowers and leaves were done using the brush embroidery technique.


I used homemade green fondant mixed with modeling chocolate for the green background on these cookies. This technique is much faster because you can just roll out the fondant mixture, cut out circles, and attach them to the cookies with a little glaze. Very quick and easy. These were lemon sugar cookies.


To keep the cookies fresh, I wrapped each cookie in plastic wrap. To package them, I placed a big piece of bubble wrap in a box and then one layer of the wrapped cookies. I continued to layer plastic wrap and cookies until the box was full. I sent the cookies USPS. Luckily, the cookies traveled well and arrived in good shape. I think the biggest thing is to make sure there is no room in the box for the cookies to jostle around. If there is any extra room, they can shift during transport and break.

STATS:

Chocolate Roll Out Cookies

Glace Icing

Royal Icing

Tutorial on how to flood cookies with royal icing or glace icing

Brush Embroidery Tutorial



No comments:

Post a Comment