Monday, February 21, 2011

Guest Sweet: Share the Love

I was asked to teach a cookie decorating class for a week night activity at my church. I was so excited for the activity because I LOVE cookie decorating and couldn't wait to teach others what I love to do.

I brought in homemade fondant and glace icing. I ended up using about 10 pounds of confectioner's sugar to make all of the icing (6 for the fondant and 4 for the glace). We planned to decorate about 200 cookies.

The techniques I taught were:

1. Outlining a cookie with glace
2. Flooding the cookie
3. Using the "wet on wet" technique to create swirls and hearts in the glace
4. Rolling fondant and cutting out shapes to attach to cookies
5. Making a 5 petal fondant rose

I brought some little fondant embossers I got at Michael's craft store to let everyone use. I love all of the creative ways people found to decorate their cookies! I've only used the stamps to make a simple design in the center of a cookie, but they found so many other ways to use the embossers. Now I'm excited to use them again!

I wish I had gotten pictures of all of the cookies made. I only got a few pictures (and it was after the cookies were already covered in plastic wrap). I also wish I had gotten some photos of the glace decorated cookies.

Here's a look at just some of the cookies everyone made. I love how creative and beautiful they all are!







The best part of making cakes and cookies is sharing them with the people we love. It's a wonderful thing to spend time creating something beautiful to share with family and friends.

STATS:

Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow Fondant
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

Glace Icing
1 cup confectioner's sugar : 1 Tbsp. light corn syrup : 1 Tbsp. milk
Adjust amount of milk to achieve desired consistency in icing.)

How to Swirl Icing Tutorial Video from University of Cookie
http://www.universityofcookie.com/2010/12/fun-and-easy-way-of-decorating.html

Simple Rose Tutorial
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1149096

No comments:

Post a Comment