Friday, June 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Aubrie!

I wanted the inside of the cake to have a rainbow of colors, so I divided the cake batter into five small bowls and added food coloring. Then, I just dropped spoonfuls of the batter into the cake pan.

This is how it looked baked.

I found an image of a hibiscus flower online and printed it out. Then I used the pin prick method to make an outline of the flower on my fondant-covered cake.

I used glace icing to make the large flower.
(1 cup powdered sugar: 1 Tbsp. milk: 1 Tbsp. corn syrup...add milk a small amount at a time to the desired consistency.)

I used homemade marshmallow fondant to cover the cake and to make the small flowers attached to the side of the cake. I used a small flower-shaped fondant cutter to cut out all of the tiny flowers. I used glace icing to attach them to the cake.

A tiny dot of glace icing was piped into the center of each flower to finish the cake.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd noticed the link for this blog on the side of your family blog, but hadn't looked at it until now. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky. You're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete