Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pretty Blue Ruffles

My sister-in-law Aubrie received her mission call right before her 21st birthday. I decided to surprise her with a cake. One of my favorite things about cake decorating is how personalized you can make it.
  

Here are some ways I tailored the cake for Aubrie:

1. I baked a Funfetti cake - her favorite flavor.
2. I colored the fondant turquoise - Aubrie's favorite color.
3. Aubrie always wears the cutest shirts, so I tried to make the cake look like something she would wear.
4. I added her name to the missionary tag.


Here's a closeup of the necklace. I made the turquoise stones by first mixing blue/green food coloring into the fondant, then I added a tiny bit of brown gel food coloring. I was careful not to over-mix it because I wanted it to have a marbled look.


This cake was so much fun to make! I especially loved making the ruffles and the beads. All of the decorations are edible and made from  homemade fondant.


STATS:

Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow Fondant

No comments:

Post a Comment